Monday, September 27, 2010

Wait...you want 100 shots of WHAT?!

Part 1: Immediately After Assignment Completion

Before we were even assigned the task of taking 100 different photos of a single object I was already cursing it under my breath. I thought this would be the hardest assignment yet, and I would scraping by, begging for ideas just to break 100.
Surprisingly, I managed to hit 151 before stopping to actually calculate the fact that I went over my limit. All i could think of was how rushed I felt. Not only was my computer mid-update, but I had yet to install lightroom and furthermore I gave up my transportation to return to school.
In a complete frenzy I updated, upgraded and uploaded what seemed like half the Apple Store, and hit send.

Part 2: One Week Later; Post Critique, Post Panic Attack...

Looking back, I rather enjoyed the exercise. It was a really good way to push my creativity and my own limits to see things not necessarily as they would conventionally be. I almost had fun rolling around in wood chips and wet grass to find THE angle.
After critique I definitly realized that the photos that turned out the best, were never the first in a series. They were always near the end, as i pushed my self further and further.
What did i learn? SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! Practice whenever and where ever. I really noticed that it takes me a few "warm up shots" with a subject to really get a feel for it, and its after the warm up that my work really begins to produce results.

Moral of the story: You wouldn't jump into an NHL game without a lap around the ice first would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment